Jackline Akello is an Associate at Ong’anya Ombo Advocates LLP. She has experience in proffering strategic legal advisory, policy review, transactional, commercial, and project structuring legal solutions on matters touching on Intellectual Property Law, Technology, Media and Telecommunication Law, Internet and Data Protection Law, and Corporate Law.
M&A Transaction: she recently took an advisory role on an M&A transaction concerning a marketing and public relations company. Her area of focus was on the software, hardware, and other models of intellectual property that were to be part of the transaction. She managed to distinguish the acquisition model and separate assets that were not to form part of the share acquisition M&A transaction.
Foreign Exchange Licensing: she advised an intended new entrant on the statutory requirements of establishing a corporate entity offering fintech solutions under the Capital Markets (Foreign Exchange Online Trading) Regulations. The company, which had a presence in major North American and European countries, intended to provide solutions for fiat and cryptocurrency.
eCommerce Business Model Policies: she has advised and provided compliance services to one of the major eCommerce companies operating in Kenya, Nigeria, and Uganda. The solutions touch on various modalities of business channels the company offers to the vendors and purchasers relying on its Platform as a Service (PaaS).
Election & Data Laws: she has advised one of the political aspirants on the best models of engaging in campaigning while factoring in the available laws on data and privacy while ensuring there is less chance of misinformation within his own campaign camp. Kenya has established a clear regulatory framework on data protection that has a tremendous impact on how telemarketing and other models of electronic marketing are conducted.
- Highly Recommended Business Law Practitioner by Leaders League (2022)
- 2020 – Huduma Namba: Analysis of the National Integrated Identity Management Systems (NIIMS) Regulations 2020
- 2020 – The State of Internet Connectivity in Kenya: How Community Networks Can Bridge the Digital Divide
- 2019 – 2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census: The Data Privacy Perspective [https://blog.cipit.org//?s=census&search=Go]
- 2019 – The Social Media Bill: Proposed Amendments to KICA to Regulate Use of Social Media Platforms [https://blog.cipit.org//?s=social+media+bill&search=Go]
- 2019 – The Principle of Accuracy: Section 25(e) of the Data Protection Bill [https://blog.cipit.org//?s=principle+of+accuracy&search=Go]
- 2019 – Assessing Digital Rights Trends in Africa: CYRILLA Collaborative [https://blog.cipit.org//?s=CYRILLA+Collaborative&search=Go]
- 2019 – The Forum on Internet Freedom in Africa, 2019 [https://blog.cipit.org//?s=Forum+on+Internet+Freedom+in+Africa&search=Go
- Law Society of Kenya
- CISCO Networking Academy (Introduction to Cybersecurity)
- Internet Society (Internet Governance)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO General Couse on Intellectual Property)
Prior and Current Associations
- Associate, Ong’anya Ombo Advocates LLP (Apr 2021 – present)
- Tech Policy Consultant, Lawyers Hub (Oct 2020 – Mar 2021)
- Legal ICT Researcher, the Center for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law, Strathmore University Law School (Apr 2019 – June 2020)
- Legal Assistant, Ong’anya Ombo Advocates LLP (Jan 2019 – Mar 2019)
- Trainee Lawyer, Lumumba & Lumumba Advocates (Apr 2018 – Dec 2018)